Contact Us (408) 416-3149


Failure to Pay Child Support

Posted by Ahluwalia Law Professional Corporation | May 25, 2013 | 0 Comments

Child support is one often the most contentious issue in a divorce and for parents who were never married. Unfortunately, children are those ones who typically suffer the most for the actions of their parents and the courts when there is failure to pay child support, whether it is due to a deadbeat parent who chooses not to support the child or a parent who truly cannot afford to make the ordered payments and stays away for fear of the legal ramifications or because they in jail for failure to pay. If you cannot afford to make your child support payments, or if your ex is not making the ordered or agreed upon payments, San Jose child support lawyer Madan Ahluwalia can help.

Consequences of Failure to Pay Child Support

The consequences of failure to pay child support can quickly spiral out of control. If you are unable to pay because you lost your job, have gone to jail, or for any other reason, you must take action quickly. You need to request modification of your child support order right away. You cannot simply stop paying or pay less. San Jose child support attorney Madan Ahluwalia can help you seek child support modification.

The consequences of failure to pay child support can include:

  • Driver's license suspension
  • Passport denial
  • Wage garnishment
  • Lien on your property
  • Interception of your tax refund
  • Interest fees
  • Collections process
  • Credit reporting
  • Jail time for contempt of court

If You are Not Receiving Child Support Payments

If you are not receiving payments, you may need to seek child support enforcement. San Jose child support attorney Madan Ahluwalia can help you choose the best course of action and start receiving payments again as soon as possible.

Do not make the mistake of refusing to let you ex see your child as punishment for non-payment if you have a visitation order. You will only be creating more problems for yourself and you may be held in contempt of court, too.

If you have questions about family law, please call San Jose child support attorney Madan Ahluwalia of Ahluwalia Law P.C. (408) 416-3149 or contact us online today.

About the Author


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

Fill out our consultation form (Family Law Form or Immigration Form) and schedule an appointment ( Schedule Online).